Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wine Wednesday: King Estate Pinot Gris

King Estate Winery, 2009 (photo by my mom)
Welcome to a very Special Wine Wednesday.  This week I'm featuring my favorite wine of all time:  King Estate Pinot Gris.

 King Estate is a fantastic winery outside of Eugene, OR.  It has been my go to special occasion wine for many years, and the winery is absolutely beautiful.   Back in my days working for the evil insurance company, when I had a little disposable income of my own, I belonged to their wine club.  Every wine that they turn out is great, but my all time favorite wine, and the one they are famous for, is the Signature Pinot Gris.  It has the perfect balance of crisp and sweet (but not too sweet).  It's aged in stainless steel barrels, which I love because I am not a fan of oaky wines.  It's awesome served very cold with pretty much any food, but pairing it with herbed goat cheese, white cheddar and cured meats is never a bad idea.  Or Thai food.  Or salmon.  Whatever, serve it with mac and cheese, it will still be amazing.
Steel Barrels at King Estate, 2009 (Photo by my mom)
If you every have a chance to visit King Estate you should do it.  Try to make sure it is during the day so you can really see how beautiful it is.  The one time I was able to take K there was a dark and foggy night in December, and it was more terrifying than it was beautiful due to the drive out there in the fog.
Grape Vines at king Estate, 2009 (photo by my mom)

Vineyard Pavilion at King Estate, 2009 (photo by my mom)
 I have been very happy that I can find my favorite wine here in Arizona.  I have found it at a few grocery stores, and even Costco!  Which is awesome, because they of course sell it at the low end of the price range.  No matter where you live, you can probably find it, or at the very least, order it on their website.  The price varies from about $13 per bottle up to $17, depending where you get it.  If you live in the NW, you will have more options as to where you buy it.  We used to pick up a bottle at Fred Meyer for $12.99 - it seems to be getting easier to find it at that price range.  A few years ago you couldn't get it under $15.  The vineyard itself still sells it for $17, though.  So you actually pay more there, which is kind of weird, I think.  This is one of their least expensive wines, and for once in my life I actually prefer the less expensive thing (it is usually the opposite).  Although, their other wines are also amazing.  The Domaine Pinot Noir is phenomenal, but at $60/bottle I don't keep that one on hand.  The best way to try a variety of their wines is to do a tasting.  So get to it!

Wine:  King Estate Signature Pinot Gris
Year: 2011
Region: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Purchased From: Costco
Price: $13.99
Verdict: 6/5  (Yes, 6 out of 5).
Pin It!

2 comments:

Corey Glenn said...

What I love about Pinot Gris is that the taste actually depends on the region, where it was produced. For example, the King Estate Pinot Gris has a fruitful flavor with a medium body, which is a characteristic of the wines produced in Oregon. German Pinot Gris, on the other hand, is more acidic and has a full body. Love your posts by the way, keep them coming!

NW Girl said...

Thanks Corey! I don't think I have ever tried a German Pinot Gris, that will have to go on the list!

Blogging tips