Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wine Wednesday: Barrymore Pinot Grigio

Welcome to Wine Wednesday:  Celebrity Edition!  Yes, this week we feature a wine from America's favorite bad girl gone good, Drew Barrymore.

Ms. Barrymore
 Since I tend to judge a wine by its label, I was instantly intrigued when I saw the sleek bottle on the top shelf at Target.  Yep.  Drew made a smart move when she priced her wine, at $13.99 - it's not too expensive for most people, but it isn't so cheap that you think "Wow, $6 bucks?  It must taste like crap".  As an added bonus, the label states that proceeds from purchase of the wine will benefit charity. 

In true Hollywood form, the bottle appears taller and thinner than normal wine bottles.  When I compared it to other bottles, it really is taller, although not thinner.  So, this bottle photographs well.  But as we all know, it's what's on the inside that counts, right?

Ready for her closeup
I was surprised when I realized this is actually an Italian wine.  For some reason I expected a California wine.  This is a very dry Pinot Grigio,  pretty acidic and without any sweetness.  Honestly, it wasn't a terrible wine, but it wasn't my favorite.  I think it is priced a little too high for the quality of wine.  If you can find this wine under $10, give it a shot, but for $13.99 I can get my favorite King Estate, so I doubt I will be springing for this one again.

If you want Drew's autograph, buy this bottle


Wine:  Barrymore Pinot Grigio
Year: 2011
Region: Delle Venezie, Italy
Purchased From: Target
 Price: $13.99
Verdict: 3/5
Pin It!

2 comments:

Winedrop said...

I gave this a try recently and have to agree with you.

NW Girl said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Thanks for reading.

Blogging tips