Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wine Wednesday: Arizona Stronghold Nachise

Well, I hope you didn't think that I was always going to be writing about cheap wines here on Wine Wednesday.  Although my standbys might be the cheapo inexpensive grocery store fare, I still enjoy the good stuff now and then.  I firmly believe that you can enjoy a wine without spending a fortune, but it is also nice to treat yourself to a really good bottle now and then.

As I wrote about here, K and I had a beautiful dinner at a swanky restaurant for our anniversary.  We decided to order a bottle of wine to go with our dinner, and since we had recently visited the Arizona Stronghold tasting room, I selected the Nachise.  Arizona Stronghold names their wines after prominent Apache leaders, and Nachise was the son of Apache Chief Cochise.


So, Nachise is a blend of four different kind of Rhone grapes - Syrah,  Grenache, Petite Sirah, Mourverdre.  Apparently grapes from the Rhone region of France grow very well in the Northern Arizona climate. This wine was very smooth,  juicy, and full bodied without being heavy.  I really didn't notice any taste of tannins.  It was a lovely bottle of wine.


Also, take note:  This wine is 14.5% alc, so it might knock your socks off.  Jut keep that in mind so you don't accidentally get wasted while trying to enjoy a nice glass of wine (unless you want to, in which case, go for it).  I noticed this because I started to get a little buzz on my first glass, and as a good Irish girl, I can hold my liquor.

Overall, if you want to try some Arizona wine, this is a good one.  I see it in most of the grocery stores here in Arizona, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get in other places.  At the very least, you should be able to order it online.

Wine:  Arizona Stronghold Nachise
Year: 2010
Region: Arizona, Cochise County
Purchased From: A Different Pointe of View Restaurant
Price: $48 (however, I have seen it retail for $23 at grocery stores.  Restaurant upcharge)
Verdict: 4.5/5 
Pin It!

No comments:

Blogging tips