Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wine Wednesday: Gruner Veltliner Laurenz und Sophie 2011

Wine Wednesday, where have you been?  I've been on a blogging hiatus recently.  I'll blame the fact that I finally got a job and have less free time.  But it is really just because I've been lazy.  Don't worry, though, I didn't forget to celebrate Wine Wednesday all this time, I just neglected to blog about it.

I'll launch this Wine Wednesday with a clearance find from Target.  The great thing about buying marked down wine is that it feels like you are taking less of a risk.  So the random wine you bought was horrible?  At least you didn't pay full price for it.  This was the logic behind grabbing a few random bottles we found on a clearance endcap on a recent jaunt to Target.  Until recently, I had never heard of Gruner Veltliner.  But I was looking for a new wine to order at our favorite (also the only nearby) wine bar.  I spotted the Gruner Veltliner, and had to google it to A.) learn how to pronounce it and B.) decide if I wanted to try it.  After teaching myself how to pronounce it at least somewhat correctly (Grooner Velt-Lean-Er), and learning that this is a white wine grown in Austria, I decided to go ahead and order it.  And although nothing can replace my beloved Pinot Gris, I did enjoy it.  And so, all of this lead to me throwing a few bottles of Gruner into my shopping basket.

This particular wine was veeerrrryyyy dry.  And it oddly reminded me of champagne without the bubbles.  Which makes sense because I later learned that this type of a grape is often turned into a sparkling wine.  This wine was not sweet AT ALL, and not really fruity.  If you love chardonnay, you may like this wine - although this doesn't have any oaky taste to it as many chardonnays do.  I normally prefer a frutier, slightly sweeter wine, but I did enjoy this wine.  I think we also got a fabulous deal on it, because my online research seems to indicate that it runs around $15, and we only paid $5.74 for it. Clearance win!

Wine:  Laurenz und Sophie Gruner Veltliner
Year: 2011
Region: Austria
Purchased From: Target
 Price: $5.74
Verdict: 3.5/5
Pin It!

No comments:

Blogging tips